Well, I personally have never had an Italian Wedding Cookie...as they're filled with nuts that I can't eat. But I had my partner and mom try them and they said they're very similar! So, hopefully those who need a nut free cookie will also enjoy these.
Italian Wedding Cookies are usually made with almond flour and chunks of nuts that mix with the butter and powdered sugar to create a great bite. However, since I can't eat them, I thought I would try to create something with a similar texture, but made for those of us who have allergies.
I made an oat flour by blending oats in a blender, and a nut like texture for the insides by cracking up graham cracker into some smaller pieces. Then making them very similar to the original cookies. I hope you like them!
• 1 cup of butter, softened at room temperature
• ½ cup powdered sugar, extra ¼ cup for tossing (sifted once)
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 ¼ cups oat flour (if you don’t have oat flour, just blend/process old fashioned oats)
• 3 graham crackers, crumbled to small pieces
1. In your mixer, mix butter, powdered sugar, salt, and flavoring. Mix until incorporated.
2. Slowly add in oat flour on slow-medium speed until completely mixed.
3. Use a rubber spatula and mix in the graham cracker pieces.
4. Place dough into refrigerator for 30 minutes to 8 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 400° F. Prepare 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
6. Roll dough into about 1” balls and roll until smooth. Place on prepared cookie sheets about 1” apart.
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until bottom of cookie is slightly golden brown.
8. Remove, cool for 3-5 minutes, then toss in powdered sugar, and keep cooling. More powdered sugar can be added later.