Okay, so things are a little weird right now. I think all of us can agree on that. And normally I wouldn't be sure if I should be posting stuff, but it seems like now is a great time to be posting recipes for people to try at home and things to make them happy!
When it's cold and wet outside like it is here, trying to keep healthy foods in your house, and foods that are easily stored, soups are a great option. And this soup has tons of veggies and flavor. I actually told Tyler that it's like a salad, but with broth...I definitely got a major eye roll for that one. haha.
This recipe is specific if you want it to come out exactly how I make it, which I think it delicious. However, you can easily swap out veggies, beans, meat, etc. I can't guarantee the same flavors then of course, but I still think if you keep the basics the same, you'll love it no matter what. And the fajita seasoning that I use in the soup is one of my favorite recipes that I use in this, on my blackened fish, guacamole, and basically everything. We keep a jar of it in the spice cabinets at all times.
Also, some of you might judge me that I'm not putting tortilla strips on top, but like this is easy peasy. So like if you want them, go for it girl! But like, if you are a lazy bum like me, get chips. Use it to scoop up your soup, or crinkle on top of the soup. Honestly...chips and strips are basically the same, just different shapes...soooooo....
Okay, well, please test out this soup. Eat it right away, store it in the fridge (it has lasted us about 8 bowls/4 meals for the two of us), or freeze it to keep for later!
Ingredients: - 1 pound raw chicken - 3 Tbsp of olive oil - 3 Tbsp fajita seasoning, divided
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced - 1 yellow onion, diced - 1 red bell pepper, diced - 1 jalapeño, minced - 5-7 ounces kale, massaged - 1/2 cup cilantro, loosely packed - 1 can corn, rinsed and drained - 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained - 15 Oz crushed tomatoes - 15 Oz diced tomatoes - 48 Oz of chicken broth Optional toppings: - Avocado, sliced or diced
- Cotija or shredded cheese
- Fresh cilantro, de-stemmed and chopped
- Lime juice
- Jalapeño, sliced
- Tortilla strips or chips
1. Preheat oven 425 degrees F. Place chicken in a baking dish and cover with 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp Fajita seasoning. Bake for 16 minutes.
2. Remove chicken from oven and shred.
3. In a soup pot heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over low-medium and add garlic, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in onion and heat for another 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
5. Add in your peppers, cook until a bit soft, 3-5 minutes.
6. Then, add in your kale, 2-4 min until starting to wilt.
7. Add in corn, beans, tomatoes, chicken, chicken broth, and remaining fajita seasoning.
8. Mix and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until everything is warm and flavors have mixed.
9. Serve with sliced avocado, cotija or shredded cheese, cilantro, limes, jalapeños, tortilla strips or chips. Serve and enjoy!